NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Friday, 5 June 2015

A song that reminds me of someone

Dolly Parton - "Jolene"



My Granda played a huge role in my childhood. When I was two years old my parents and I moved back to the town in Northern Ireland that my mother was from. With my parents both working full time jobs far from our house, the morning school run was down to my Granda. He is a huge fan of country music and in his car I heard my fair share of many country songs. I haven't listened to this style of music for years but as I write this post I am enjoying listening to the classic country playlist on Spotify.

"Jolene" reached No. 7 in the UK singles chart in 1976. It has been covered by many artists, notably recently: Miley Cyrus and Ellie Goulding. They have both covered it in entirely different ways - I like both but Cyrus unquestionably has the stronger voice. Also who knew that Parton is Cyrus' aunt?!

Recently, I've been (secretly and quietly, with headphones) getting back into country music. It's a kind of guilty pleasure that takes me straight back to sitting in the front seat of my Granda's car as a child.