NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Saturday, 6 June 2015

A song that reminds me of an ex

George Ezra - "Budapest"



"Budapest" peaked at No. 3 on the UK singles chart but I never really liked it all that much. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, but I only really listened to it when I was with my then-boyfriend. He loved loved loved George Ezra.

We used to lie on my bed and take it in turns to choose a song to listen to. We would joke about how the songs I would choose would be slow and sad whilst he would pick the catchy upbeat songs like this one. Even when we agreed on an artist (let's say Imagine Dragons), we would always disagree on the best song from the album (he loved "On Top of the World" and I loved "Bleeding Out"). Somehow though, it just worked.

I can't listen to anything by Ezra without being reminded of my ex. For a while it was too hard for me and when someone played the song I would ask for it to be skipped. More recently, I have move on from what happened between the two of us and have actually chosen to listen to Ezra. Out of all of his music, "Budapest" brings back the strongest memories of him softly singing "Baby if you hold me // Then all of this will go away". It is incredible how a song can hold such strong memories. I am grateful for the time that he and I had together and I might actually be becoming a fan of Ezra! We'll see.