NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Sunday, 7 June 2015

A song that reminds me of a certain event

The Killers - "Mr. Brightside"



"Mr. Brightside" is, I think, The Killers' most well-known song and it is definitely one of my favourites. It has sold over 3 million copies in the US and in the UK is one of the fifteen most downloaded rock songs ever.

This song is played just about every weekend in my flat because I and all of my flatmates love it. It's even played every night we go out to a club. But the particular event that this song reminds me of is the first day of university, moving into my new flat and the uncertainty of living away from my family with four strangers for a year. I remember one of my flatmates knocking on my bedroom door and asking if I minded having The Killers to play on the speakers in the corridor. It was a bonding moment for us all.

My favourite line from the song is: "It started out with a kiss // How did it end up like this // It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss". The song is about a jealous, paranoid man who thinks he is being cheated on. There is something wonderful about screaming the words to this song and over-exaggeratedly wringing your hands while dancing around the kitchen/club with friends.