NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Tuesday, 9 June 2015

A song that is a guilty pleasure

James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"



"You're Beautiful" was released in 2005, when I was 8 years old. This song played everywhere: on the radio, in shops, in my mum's car, in my childminder's car...and of course when the CD version was played my childminder would sing over the one swear word to protect our young ears. It reached number 1 in the UK as well as in 9 other countries around the world. Somehow, people actually liked this fairly average love song and I think you would be hard pushed to find someone who hasn't heard it. 

It's a well known fact that James Blunt is pretty crap and that the only people who actually like him are middle aged woman, or as they're sometimes known, "Blunties". But I do sometimes find myself singing along to this when it does pop up on Spotify... and yes, that does mean that I have it saved on Spotify.

The music video really caters to the middle aged women market as it shows Blunt undressing himself in the rain. To be honest, it's one of the most boring music videos I've seen recently. The song is still alright in a terrible kind of way. It was an obvious choice for the category of guilty pleasure because I do still kind of like it. However, I won't be putting it in my favourites playlist anytime soon.