NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Friday, 12 June 2015

A song by an artist from the same place I'm from

Nina Nesbitt - "Stay Out"




Choosing an artist for this was really difficult because I like quite a few Scottish artists: Biffy Clyro, Twin Atlantic, The Fratellis, Chvrches are just some but I chose Nina Nesbitt as she's less well known and so (I think anyway) a bit more interesting to read about. And then, I had to chose between "Stay Out" and "Hold You" (which features Kodaline, a band I really really love). In the end, as you'll know from the title above, I chose "Stay Out".

Nina Nesbitt is a 20 year old singer-songwriter and guitarist from our capital - Edinburgh. I first listened to Nesbitt after seeing her appear in Ed Sheeran's music video for Drunk when I thought she was absolutely stunning! From there, I found her music and fell in love with her voice. (As an aside, Nesbitt is the subject of Sheeran's song "Nina" which is not that well-known but very good).

"Stay Out" is, as the name suggests, about a night out. The music video is filmed in Edinburgh and shows Nesbitt and her friends on a night out: getting ready in Nesbitt's flat, travelling by bus, getting chips and getting asked for ID by some scary looking bouncers - just a regular night out for most people then! I like the line "She thinks she's in Barbados / But outside it's minus three" because it's true, especially in Scotland, you go out in a teeny-tiny dress and massive heels and practically freeze to death waiting for a taxi at the end of the night. It's a really fun, upbeat song that you should listen to if you haven't already.